Aggie Princess

Changed up the layout just for kicks. Like it?

Friday, August 26, 2005

Thoughts on marriage

I hate it when people tell me that marriage is just a piece of paper. Two people have already told me that. They meant it in a positive way somehow, but I hate it. Marriage is NOT a piece of paper. That is like saying your highschool diploma is only a piece of paper. Or your Aggie ring is just another piece of metal. How can people trivialize marriage that much? How far has our society gone in that it can claim that there is nothing to marriage except a piece of paper legally saying you are together? If marrige isn't a big deal, then why do people change their names? THEIR NAMES! You change your identity when you get married! Marriage is a beautiful, lifelong commitment. It is more than love. It is a commitment to cherish, respect, uplift, encourage, support, and love through better or worse. It is a commitment to a future together, a commitment to raising a new generation together. A commitment to push everything else to the side for the sake of the one you love. People, marriage is meant to show us the relationship between Jesus and the CHURCH! Now that is not just a piece of paper. Marriage illustrates how Jesus cherishes, respects, uplifts, encourages, supports and loves us through better or worse; and its mostly through worse. No matter what we are still beautiful to Him. Just as a human marriage ought to be. Marriage is NOT a piece of paper. That is like saying an Olympic gold medal is only a necklace. Try pulling that one off next time you see Michael Phelps. He'll tell you that is bullshit and I agree.

8 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Teresa said...

that was angry but I still love you.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Damn girl, retract them claws. I understand your frustration though. People don't put enough stock into marriage, which is why the divorce rate is so high. That's why I never really plan on getting married.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger jaclyn said...

haha, sorry guys. Didn't realize I sounded so "angry." Oops. :-)

Rob! You're awesome. And, you never know. I'll smile the day you get married. :-) You're a cool guy, you can't be single forever, now! haha.

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Kurt said...

Personally, I think it's more then just a piece of paper, but I'll save that discussion for another time. I just wanted to say that I think that it's awesome that you two are getting married. The feelings that you two share for each other are a rare thing in our world now days. Cherish it, for the two of your have found something that can elude those who have searched for it all their lives, and that some people don't even believe in anymore. Best of luck,

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Wow Kurt, thank you!

Yep Jac, you sounded pretty testy...but still I feel pretty confident that its a justified feeling. You're right to be pissed! And I'm glad you feel that way, it lets me know just how much you'll "cherish, respect, uplift, encourage, support and love" our marraige some day. You're wonderful, but I think I've already told you that today.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger jaclyn said...

Wow, I love Kevin and Kurt! Thanks for your kind words, Kurt. :-) Gosh, again I'm sorry I sounded so testy...I don't mean to be pissy or anything. Sorry. Just passionate. It is hard for me to get that across so I go overboard. Sorry!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Marilyn said...

I don't think you went overboard, I feel the same about marriage almost 14 years later.

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous bri said...

hey girly, you are so not going overboard or anything, marriage is a HUGE commitment but it is so amazing and wonderful...two months later i'm still getting use to my new last name haha it's a little odd...everytime i change a credit card or update something i feel like my maiden name is slowly slipping away it's a weird feeling but that's part of the big I DO! Marriage isn't just a piece of paper it's so much more like knowing that you have a partner for life that will always love you, that thinks the world of you, it's making it through difficult times and cherishing memorable moments...ok i'm going to call you or something ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home